Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Just learned what prose poetry is!

I am not a poetry expert. In fact, I just don't 'get' most poetry. I've dabbled in the typical rhyming poetry off and on, but overall, I don't write it. So, when I attended the monthly meeting of my local writers club, the Ventura County Writers Club, to hear our speaker, Perie Longo, an acclaimed poet, I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the talk. But I did. I really did. She explained the differences and similarities of poetry and prose poetry and I actually understood what she was talking about. Prose poetry, if you didn't know, is a little like flash fiction (although there really isn't a required length) in that is doesn't rhyme and it's written in paragraph format, not the short lines of a regular poem. However, just because it's not a rhyming poem doesn't mean it doesn't have a lyrical or musical quality to it. Ms. Longo read several prose poems and they were lyrical. Some were funny, some were poignant, but they were all well-constructed and meaningful. So, my hat's off to those poets and prose poets out there! I don't think I could do what you do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment