Monday, April 22, 2013

Author Interview: Trista Jaszczak


Interview with author Trista Jaszczak talking about writing her novels, including the upcoming, Little Red.
  
SDG: Welcome, Trista and thank you for taking the time to do the interview. Can you tell me a little about yourself?
 
TJ: I'm Trista Jaszczak and I am originally from Hamilton, Ohio. I'm married to the military and call home wherever the Air Force sends us, which is currently Anchorage, Alaska. I've been writing for about 11 years now and have written close to 30 novels. I have Darkness Falls: Hunted and Loverboy currently out for purchase and the upcoming Believe series.
 
SDG: What inspired you to write this book?
 
TJ: I have always had a great love for fairy tales, even as I near my 30's, I can't get enough of them. A close friend of mine, knowing my love of fairy tales sent me a song (Hey There Little Red Riding Hood, by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs) and as I was listening to it, I couldn't help but to have this little movie play in my head. A young woman, gorgeous, one night in the woods. Then in dawned on me...who said fairy tales are for kids. Right away my brain went into over drive and Little Red and the rest of the Believe series was born.
 
SDG: What was your approach to writing it (did it just flow or did you use an outline or other preparatory method)?
 
TJ: Because my mind kicked in so fast it really poured out of me. Once I started writing I found it difficult to stop. It was unbelievable and completely verged off my normal writing routine but somehow, it has worked out perfectly.
 
SDG: How long did it take to write the complete novel from first draft to edited final?
 
TJ: For Little Red, it took about 10 months with a lot of sleepless nights, from start to finish.
 
SDG: Can you tell us a little about your book and if you have had book signings or readings?
 
TJ: Little Red is a whole new look at the classic children’s tale, Little Red Riding Hood. It’s about one woman’s desperate escape from her past where she finds herself landing in Louisiana and into the arms of an unlikely hero. With lots of passion, a close knit pack of brothers, some old bayou magic and feuding families, Little Red will spark the feeling that fairy tales once created in every woman.
 
Little Red is currently beginning the publishing process with Front Porch Romance but I will definitely plan signings and readings when I can.
 
SDG: Is your family supportive of your writing and what do they think about your writing career?
 
TJ: My family is very supportive of my writing career. For as long as I can remember I have had a wild imagination and my parents always supported me. As I got older and got married, thankfully my husband didn't think I was crazy for sitting around for hours as I scribbled notes in notebooks and pecked away at the keys on my computer. I'm pretty sure that when I'm up at all hours of the night writing, my husband is too. Without my family, I don't think I would be where I am today. I am thankful to have my family and my husband.
 
SDG: Do you have any advice or words of wisdom for beginning writers?
 
TJ: Never give up. Never let a bad day, bad review or bad anything tarnish your dreams. They're your dreams, after all. Just keep writing and keep moving forward.
 
SDG: What are you working on now? Is it in the same genre?
 
TJ: I'm currently working on completing the Believe series, which Little Red is a part of. They're all modern twists on classic children's tales. I currently have The Shoe (Cinderella), Who's the Fairest (Snow White), Only Sleeping (Sleeping Beauty), and Fairy Dust (Tinkerbell). I'm also working on a few other romances that are separate from the series.
 
SDG: What is the best time for you to write and does it ever interfere with your day job, if you have one? Also, how long on average do you write each day?
 
TJ: All of my writing is done at night. For some reason at night when my house is silent, my mind opens up with new ideas that begin playing like movies, screaming for me to write them down. Each night I'll write anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. As long as I write, every single day, I'm happy.
 
SDG: Is writing, to you, a lonely occupation?
 
TJ: Not at all! For some reason all these characters that I create are alive and thriving in my mind. I create new places and people that, to me, feel real. I don't think I could ever consider that lonely.
 
SDG: What is your website and where can readers purchase your book or books?
 
TJ: I can be found on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Books-A-Million (Keyword search: Trista Jaszczak). Both Darkness Falls: Hunted and Loverboy have print and eBook editions. Little Red has a tentative release of June 2013.
 
SDG: Do you have anything else you’d like to say?
 
TJ: I really have to thank my fans who have been following my writing these past few years. I am so thankful for their support and to see people waiting on the release of Little Red is completely mind blowing. I cannot say thank you enough. It means a lot when someone buys a book from an unknown author. Thank you.
 
Author website/social media sites:
 
Facebook: www.facebook.com/AuthorTristaJaszczak
Twitter: TristaJaszczak
Tumbr: AuthorTristaJaszczak
Blog: www.tristajaszczak.wordpress.com
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment